Amelie: tackling the outside

Here's Amelie in the driveway - not much space, but this is what I've got to work with and I'm happy to say that there's just enough room to get around on both sides. Oh, and this is Huckleberry, faithful design dog.

Here's Amelie in the driveway - not much space, but this is what I've got to work with and I'm happy to say that there's just enough room to get around on both sides. Oh, and this is Huckleberry, faithful design dog.

The first thing that I need to deal with is the exterior. As you can see from the pictures below, while she's in pretty good shape for a nearly 50 year old camper, there are some issues with dings and damage, predominantly on the corners.

This crunch unfortunately happened while we were backing her into the driveway; she had a disagreement with the willow tree.

This crunch unfortunately happened while we were backing her into the driveway; she had a disagreement with the willow tree.

One of the bottom corners that's been taped up but needs fixing.

One of the bottom corners that's been taped up but needs fixing.

A day's work: frustratingly slow.

A day's work: frustratingly slow.

I'm using the greenest paint stripper I can find. It's slow going - I discovered that it's better - especially in the 90 degree heat we're having at the moment - to do small patches at a time, otherwise the stripper dries too quickly. Even so, it only gets through one layer of paint at a time and there are three on her. The blue, a mustard green and an original, very pretty red.

It all needs to go though. I'm taking it back to the metal so that I can be sure I get a good finish that will last. Once I've got all the paint off, the J-rails that go on the edges and some of the trim will also have to come off.